In this blog, I will summarize what kind of lesson plan I came up with using resources provided by PBS. For my first blog, I chose the VITAL and pbskids as a resource.
In the content area of counting, I will make a lesson plan revolving around positive and negative numbers. I will use a number line and show that everything to the left of the zero is negative, and everything to the right is positive. I found a similar lesson plan on teachersdomain.org. The video offered stays with this content and would be very entertaining to a younger audience. The goofy skinny kid is worth cheering for, even though he doesn’t make the team, but this sort of ending would give me more material to work with at the end of the lesson. All during the video, the displayed a number line which kept his score and showed the location of the positive and negative numbers. This video will be an excellent enhancement to my lesson.
There was also a pre-made lesson plan with this video. It too followed my idea and content. It is designed around the video. It has printable worksheet which have the students guessing if Harry will qualify. This helps tie the content to the media being shown, but I would actually have to sit down and plan my lesson, know my student’s abilities and my time before I could determine if I can use this or not. I like the VITAL resource and may use it in the future. Video, especially goofy video, is a good way to catch a youngster’s attention.
Link: http://www.teachersdomain.org/collection/k12/math.number.cou/lesson_plan/
I also checked for similar material on PBSKIDS.org. I found this video, which after reading the description, I know would be an excellent fit for my lesson plan. I couldn't watch it because I am unwilling to install the REALplayer plugin. But I am sure if I actually had to create the lesson plan, I would use this video. It goes right along with the content and sounds very entertaining as well as educational. Here is the link:
http://pbskids.org/cyberchase/parentsteachers/show/episodes/121.html
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I looked at that math lesson as well and I thought it was just OK. I did like the video and I think it would be an interesting way to either introduce or wrap up a lesson on numbers. I like that even though they offer an entire lesson from start to finish, they still leave it open for your own modifications.
ReplyDeleteAlso, what's wrong with real player, do I not want that on my computer???