Thursday, February 12, 2009

Article two review

The second article I reviewed is:

Baker, Suzanne C., Wentz, Ryan K. and Woods, Madison M.(2009). Using Virtual Worlds in Education: Second Life as an Educational Tool. Teaching of Psychology. 36:1,59 — 64

All I have to say is wow. Not Wolrd of Warcraft mind you, but wow as in WOW. This article talks about signing students into a MMORPG, Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game, and having class in a virtual setting. They review the validity of the idea and cost effectiveness. Though to sign up for "Second Life" is free, if you want private space, you have to pay a monthly fee to rent the virtual land. They found that the students were engaged and eager to begin. Of course, going to school in a video game? Who wouldn't find that exciting!

For my thoughts, I would have to know much more about the project for me to dissagree, but I could imagine it being very effective for keeping students engaged in classroom criteria and very willing to participate in the class itself. Would I ever try something like this? Maybe, but it wouldn't rent out to a 3rd party. I would create the virtual setting with my own programs and go from their. This way, I would have complete control over the content and be able to modify as I see fit.

2 comments:

  1. Mick,

    Like you I would be really interested in seeing how this would work. I think this would be a lot of work on part of the teacher but could really be efective if used correctly. Let me know if you ever do decided to complete something like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to do something like this. But, I would have to be the administrator on ALL levels. I have to be aware of every single bit of content in order for myself to be comfortable with it. This, "Second life" may be a good plan, an excellent way to introduce otherwise impossible scenarios, but I would have to research the program.
    The only Real software of this type I currently 'play' with is a military simulation. I do not think I could easily defend the educational implications of this software, but it doesn't mean I won't try:)

    ReplyDelete