Thursday, February 12, 2009

Article review one

The first article I reviewed is:
Wong, Anna; Marcus, Nadine; Ayres, Paul; Smith, Lee; Cooper, Graham A.; Paas, Fred; Sweller, John. (2009). Computers in Human Behavior. Instructional Animation. Vol 25, 339-347

It basically examines the effectiveness of static vs. animation graphics used in education. I think they are WAY off the mark. They basically based their findings on cognitive learning theory and went from their. They used Origami directions in both static and animation forms and the kids learned more form the static then the animation. Well duh! If I was doing Origami, I would want the stills to follow rather then the moving instructions. They based their findings that because the students couldn't rehearse what they saw in their short term memory long enough, their ability to make the viking hat failed to stick in their long term memory. That's why animation would fail. From what I percieved, they assumed this would apply to ALL animation vs. Static.

My findings, say for example reading with young children, animation would be much more engaging. I animated a Dr. Sues book in power point and from the feedback I recieved, students found the reading much more engaging and memorable.

I would like to add, animation can be very successful if it is used in the right setting and with the right cirriculum.

2 comments:

  1. I am surprised that about the findings in this article Mick. I feel like if done properly and with a purpose, animation could be an effective learning tool for students. It can help bring home very touchy subjects in a better way, it can help break up the same day-to-day lessons, and can be a beneficial way to present material in a different way to help those who struggle with tradition style teaching. I'm wondering with you as an animation wizz, how much you plan on incorporating computerized stuff like this with your lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Currently, my plan mostly dwells with literacy. Example: Dr. Suess or other picture books. Put them to power points and animate the normally static images. I could also use animated cartoons to emphisize my lessons or to at least compliment them.

    ReplyDelete